Vegan Soft Serve Sundaes
When the sun is scorching there is nothing better than a cool treat to bring down your temperature and tease your tastebuds. Unfortunately the thing people reach for the most is dairy based ice cream. This option is so hard on the body because it consists of primarily animal-based protein and fat. It’s also really hard on our fragile planet and the cows we share it with.
What if there was a way to satisfy your tastebuds AND tread lightly while maintaing your health at the same time? Sound impossible – well it’s perfectly accessible with a few items from the produce section of every grocery store – and a blender.
What you will need need:
- Peeled ripe bananas
- A freezer to freeze them in
- A blender, vanilla extract and a little bit of plant-based milk[/checklist]
Here’s what you do to make two servings:
1. Freeze 3 peeled bananas until solid
2. Break each banana into about 4 pieces and place in a blender
3. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4. Add 2-3 tablespoons plant-milk (soy, almond, rice etc)
5. Blend! If you have a high power blender this will be a breeze but don’t worry, you can do this in any blender you just have to stop and stir a few times before it blends into ice cream. If it does not blend easily add an extra Tablespoon of plant-milk.
Eat as it or create a sundae by topping with yummy sundae sauces!
Warm Berry Sundae
1/2 Cup frozen or fresh raspberries, blueberries or strawberries or a combination of all of them
1/4 Cup water
Heat in a small saucepan, stirring often until warm and serve over ice cream. Because the ice cream is sweet there is no need to add sugar to the sauce.
Hot Fudge Sundae
1/3 Cup dairy-free chocolate chips
1/4 Cup Plant-Milk (soy, almond, rice etc)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Heat in a small saucepan, stirring often until chocolate is melted and sauce is thick. If it’s too thick add more plant-milk. Serve over ice cream with chopped almonds or pecans.
Vegan Buster Parfait
Go crazy and layer the soft serve with peanuts or chopped almonds and hot fudge sauce for a decadent treat! Nothing like having fun without doing harm.
Share your Sundae success stories and your ideas!
Post a comment below and share your soft serve success story. Try out the recipe and let me know what you think and if you create a new sauce or soft serve flavaour I would love to hear about it and what kind of reaction you got from those who were lucky enough to taste it.