Vegan Chocolate Banana Protein Pancakes
Bananas are a great egg substitute and work especially well when you want your final product to have banana flavour. These pancakes are soft, fluffy and bursting with flavour – and protein thanks to the addition of hemp seeds.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa or raw cacao powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups plant milk (almond, soy, coconut etc)
1 large or 2 small ripe bananas
1/4 cup hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon oil for cooking (organic canola, coconut, sunflower etc)
Toppings: Maple syrup, banana slices, extra hemp seeds
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Mash the banana a medium sized bowl and add the plant milk, hemp seeds and vanilla extract. Stirring well.
3. Now add the mixed wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and stir until just mixed. Avoid stirring too much as this will prevent your pancakes from rising.
4. Add about half of the oil to a non-stick frying pan (I use ceramic) and heat the pan over medium heat.
5. When the pan in hot use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to pour pancake batter into the pan. Cook until bubbles form in the centre of the pancake and then flip. Cook for a minute or two and remove from pan. Repeat until you have a stack of pancakes. You may need to add more oil between pancakes.
6. Top with maple syrup, extra sliced bananas and extra hemp seeds
Makes approx. 10 pancakes